Published Thursday 22 September 2016 at 10:24
A roadshow is taking place to help make people in Blackburn with Darwen aware of the upcoming bin changes whilst promoting waste reduction and recycling. People are invited to come along to recycling roadshows and speak to specialist advisors, learn more about recycling, get hints and tips on how to waste less and save money.
The events are being held across the borough – the first being on Friday, September 23, to offer people advice and information on the new service, which begins on October 3, 2016.
The new system will see rubbish and recycling collected from wheelie bins on alternate weeks, with rubbish one week and recycling the next.
Letters are being sent to every household in the borough with information on how the new service will work and the council has also set up a Facebook page to keep residents informed and give useful tips on how to recycle more.
Cllr Jim Smith, Executive Member for Environment, said:
“I know that a lot of residents want to do the right thing and recycle more.
We are committed to keeping residents up to date about the upcoming changes and these roadshows will help to keep residents informed.”
There will be various activities on the bus including:
- Demos using real bins to show what you can and can’t recycle
- Recording of podcasts asking people what they think can/can’t be recycled
- Handing out of merchandise
- Demonstration of the Council website/filling in online forms – mybwd.blackburn.gov.uk
Roadshow tour dates
Friday, September 23
- Morning (10.30am to 1pm): Mill Hill, close to the Spar
- Afternoon (1.30pm to 5pm): Bank Top Neighbourhood Centre
Saturday, September 24
- Morning (10am to 1pm): Blackburn, King William Street
- Afternoon (1.30pm to 4.30pm): Darwen, Outside the market
Friday, September 30
- Morning (10am to noon): Rothesay Road, Shadsworth
- Afternoon (1pm to 4.30pm): Troy Street, Whalley Range
Saturday, October 1
- Morning (10am to 1pm): Blackburn, King William Street as above
- Afternoon (1.30pm to 4.30pm): Darwen, outside the Market
Sign-up to a free mybwd account at mybwd.blackburn.gov.uk to:
- Report missed bins
- Uncollected/lost bins
- Order new bins
- Arrange collections when you move house
- Arrange an assisted bin collection
- Find out collection days