Universal Credit – changes to the way you apply for help

Published Monday 26 March 2018 at 11:43

Blackburn with Darwen is now a Full Service Universal Credit area – and help is at hand to help people in the new system.

Universal Credit is a government scheme to reform the welfare system. The Council is working hard to minimise any issues people might face in making and managing their claims.

Universal Credit is paid differently to current benefits. You will get a single payment for your household and it will be paid once a month into your bank or building society account. If your Universal Credit payment includes help towards your rent you will need to pay this to your landlord.

Councillor Andy Kay, Executive Member for Resources, said:

The introduction of Universal Credit has brought in a lot of changes and it is vitally important that people make the right switch over get the help they need.”

Those residents who are faced with applying for universal credit can obtain help from DWP staff and Council staff at the Job Centre Plus Office. For those who need assistance with claiming online, help will be on hand. Also, through our partnership with Shelter, claimants can get budgeting or debt advice there too.

If you need access to a computer or would like would like to improve your online skills  help is available at the following locations:

  • Blackburn Library (01254) 661221
  • Darwen Library (01254) 706021
  • Audley Neighbourhood Learning Centre (01254) 507720
  • Bank Top Community Centre (01254) 581175
  • Livesey Library (01254) 209442
  • Mill Hill Library (01254) 266380
  • Roman Road Library (01254) 682347
  • Darwen Resource Centre (01254) 226360

Drop in sessions and bookable IT courses from beginner level also available.  Please ring one of the centres for further details.

Claims must be made online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit


This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.