Published November 28, 2017 at 11:54
A recent on the spot inspection of taxis carried out by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council found the majority are staying up to date with licensing regulations.
At the last check carried out in Darwen, 15 vehicles were stopped by the Police and inspected by a vehicle examiner from the Council. The vehicles were also checked to make sure the correct licences were in place for the taxis and their drivers.
All vehicles were found to be in a safe condition, with just three given a week to put right more minor problems such as door signs missing, flat spare tyre and number plate light out.
Cllr Jane Oates the Council’s Assistant Executive Member for Environment, said:
I’m really pleased that the taxi trade in Blackburn with Darwen has come up to the mark and is keeping their vehicles in a safe condition. Maintaining a high standard of vehicles is something we take seriously and we carry out regular checks to ensure taxis and their drivers are meeting licensing requirements.
If you’re planning on using taxis over the Christmas and New Year here is some advice to help you stay safe.
1) Know the difference between a Hackney carriage and a Private Hire Vehicle (in Blackburn with Darwen, hackney cabs have white plates on the back of the car; private hire have yellow plates). Only hackney carriages can be hailed in the street or pick you up from a taxi rank.
2) If you use a private hire vehicle you have to pre book the journey – keep the phone number in your contacts.
3) Don’t get into the vehicle until you are sure it is yours – the driver should know the name the booking was made in. Most companies will now send you a text or have an app you can use on your mobile.
4) Check the driver has a licence badge showing their photo
5) Be sure to have enough money to cover your journey – Don’t be offended if asked to pay up front
6) Stay with friends – make a pact at the start of the evening to stay together and don’t share a taxi with a stranger.
7) If travelling alone sit in the back seat
8) Always wear your seat belt
9) Always check you have all your belongings when leaving the car.
10) Any issues – Report it to Licensing on 01254 267666 or email email@example.com Make a note of the vehicle registration, company name or plate number.