Published Wednesday 3 December 2014 at 15:01
Shoppers are being urged to shop local and support our market traders and independent retailers on Saturday, December 6th.
Lots of events and special offers are available in Darwen town centre on the day as part of the global event.
Traders have come together to organise the events themselves to attract visitors into the town centre and show off our hidden retail gems.
For the second year running, Council leader Kate Hollern invited traders to meet with her to discuss how the Council could help support local businesses on the day.
The event will be officially opened at 10am by the Town Crier and Mayor of Darwen Town Council.
Visitors will also get the chance to meet Darren Tower and there will also be a face painter/balloon modeller in the 3 Day Market until 2 pm.
Once again, there will be lots of prizes up for grabs in a town centre Santa Trail (forms available from the Market Atrium).
Other events include:
- 10:30 – 11am – Meet Santa walking through town on his way to his Grotto in the Market Hall Annexe
- 11am – Visit Santa in his Grotto until 2 pm
- 12 noon – 1 pm – Remote Controlled car demonstration on Bridge Street
- 11am – 12:30 – Darwen Brass Band
- 30am – Meet Mickey and Mini mouse
- 30pm – Lower Darwen Primary School Choir
- 2pm – Business owners Fancy Dress competition judged by Mayor and Paul
- 2 – 3 pm – Remote Controlled car demonstration on Bridge Street
- 30pm – Meet Santa walking through town before he goes home to the North Pole
- 3pm – Last chance to hand in your Santa Trail competition form
There will also be lots of special offers available on production of the Small Business Saturday leaflet. They are available in the Markets, in local shops or on the Council website www.blackburn.gov.uk
Eileen Guy, chair of Darwen Shop and Business Association, said:
“Last year was a very successful event and we hope this year’s event will be even more successful. Once again many businesses are giving customers discounts on the 6th December, so please shop and buy local.
“It will be a great day out with a varied programme. As always there will be lots for the children to do. There’s a Treasure trail and a children’s fancy dress competition so come on down and join in the fun. Remember – all parking in Darwen is free.”