Published Friday 21 July 2023 at 17:39
Following the fire that broke out at Pleasington Crematorium last month, repair and restoration works have been ongoing.
At this week’s Council Forum meeting an update was provided.
Speaking after the meeting, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council’s Executive Member for Environment, Cllr Jim Smith, said: “There have been extensive works carried out at Pleasington Crematorium since the fire. This is being investigated by Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service who will provide a full report into the cause of the fire when complete.
“There are still other works to do as part of preparing the site and sensitive technical checks to be carried out ready for service delivery. We will be able to give an update on timescales in due course.
“It’s important to add that there has been some excellent work and collaboration from everyone involved with returning a badly damaged building back into a functioning crematorium. Our thanks, of course also go to all families for their understanding and patience and to our Funeral Directors, for their support during this time.”
Some of the works that have been carried out so far, include:
- Securing the building and making the area safe via an initial clean up and hoarding works, enabling and preparation works
- Full survey analysis of building (asbestos, electrical, structural, validation, asset, drains )
- Inspections, Health and Safety documentation, procurement of labour and parts, contract instruction
- Deep clean of full building and assets following smoke and fire damage
- Tree survey
- Structural/ roof repairs
- Full strip out of cremation room (inc, walls, floors, asbestos removal, services, ceilings)
- Removal and dry cleaning of all soft furnishings throughout the chapel
- Installation of new wall linings, floors, ceilings, plastering, floor and wall coverings, first and second fix services, joinery, intruder and fire alarms, CCTV, air con chiller, replacement of damaged parts
- Mechanical repair and replacement to cremators and other assisted assets
- Masonry clean
- Full decoration/ paint (floor to ceiling) of chapel, cremator room and the back house control room