Published Tuesday 20 December 2022 at 10:18
Christmas can be a difficult time for many people – if you, or someone you know, are feeling overwhelmed, anxious, are experiencing a low mood right now or are struggling to cope, there is support available.
Christmas can be a testing time mentally, emotionally, physically and financially for many people. It’s okay if you’re not feeling full of joy during the festive season.
Aside from talking to friends and family, if you’re feeling low, anxious or worried there are a number of services that can help. The following links provide access to help and advice during the festive season.
- To talk about anything that is upsetting you, you can contact the Samaritans, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 116 123 (free from any phone), or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- SANEline. If you’re experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10.30pm every day of the year).
- The Mix. If you’re under 25, you can call The Mix on 0808 808 4994 (Sunday-Friday 2pm–11pm), or see their Surviving Christmas Guide
- Papyrus HOPELINEUK. If you’re under 35 and struggling with suicidal feelings, or concerned about a young person who might be struggling, you can call Papyrus HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm and bank holidays 2pm–10pm), or email email@example.com or text 07860 039 967.
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM). If you identify as male, you can call the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm–midnight every day) or use their webchat service.
- Bereavement Support Grief can be overwhelming, particularly at Christmas. Call the Cruse helpline on 0808 808 1677. Check the Christmas opening hours
- NHS MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS LINE: If you need urgent help as you are in mental health distress and you are over 16 you can call 0800 953 0110 - 24 hours, seven days a week
- NHS Wellbeing Helpline & Texting Service, staffed by volunteers and those with lived experience, that offers emotional support – ring if you want to chat about your mental health or are lonely etc. It can be contacted on 0800 915 4640 or by texting ‘Hello’ to 07860 022846. Available throughout Christmas, though check the opening times here…