Published February 21, 2014 at 16:40
Events are being held through February and March in Blackburn and Darwen to let you know how to keep your house warm and your energy bills down.
The DASH (Decent and Safe Homes) events are a fun and interactive way to access help with heating and jobs around your home. There is a free handyman service for residents aged over 60 or those receiving disability living allowance (DLA).
Community Wellbeing Co-ordinators will be on hand at the events to offer further advice and steer you in the right direction.
DASH is a year round service but is exceptionally important during winter months and cold snaps.
Free refreshments are available as well as fun games including bingo, quizzes and prizes. There will also be information from a wide range of services for you to take away.
Councillor Mohammed Khan, Executive Member for Health and Adult Social Care, said: “The DASH scheme is incredibly important for many people in the winter months and beyond. We can check that they are getting all the benefits they are entitled to and that they have the right heating, insulation and fire safety measures.
“We also put them in touch with the Care Network, a voluntary organisation which helps people stay in their own homes, by helping them with shopping, cleaning, laundry, home maintenance, and gardening.
“I would urge people in the community to come along to these events and speak to our Community Wellbeing Co-ordinators and find out what help they can get.”
The events are as follows:
- Monday, February 24, 10am to 12pm, Lower Darwen Community Centre, Fore Street, Lower Darwen.
- Tuesday, February 25, 2pm to 4pm, Little Harwood Community Centre, Blackburn.
- Wednesday, February 26, 2pm to 4pm, Ferrier Court, Blackburn.
- Thursday, February 27, 12pm to 2pm, Derwent Hall, Darwen. Lunch provided – please book in advance (01254) 702259.
- Wednesday, March 5, 2pm to 4pm, Hornby Court, Blackburn.
- Friday, March 7, 10.30pm to 12pmThe Energy Zone, Higher Croft, Blackburn
- Thursday, March 13, 12pm to 2pm, Derwent Hall, Darwen.
- Monday, March 24, 1pm to 3pm, Mill Hill Community Centre, Blackburn.