Published Thursday 25 June 2015 at 16:24
With many in our community observing Ramadan guidance has been issued to ensure charitable donations go to legitimate organisations.
Ramadan is a time of generous charitable giving and all residents have the right to feel confident that their generosity is not abused and that their donations are being used for legitimate charitable purposes.
To ensure your donation is used in the way that you intend it, follow these useful tips.
- Before giving, check the charity’s name and registration number on the charity register
- Fundraisers require a licence from the local authority) to collect in a public place. Check that they have this. If the collection is in a privately owned place, check that they have the owner’s permission.
- When approached by collectors, check whether they are wearing a proper ID badge and that any collection tin is sealed.
- If in doubt, ask the collector for more information – a genuine fundraiser should be happy to answer questions and explain more about the work of the charity.
- Genuine fundraising materials should feature the charity’s name, registered name and a landline contact number. Be wary of those that list only a mobile number.
- Carefully review collection bags for clothing and household goods to ascertain whether they are from a genuine charity.
- If you think that a collection or appeal is not legitimate inform the charity commission.
- Don’t be pressurised to give to a collection immediately. If in any doubt, donate directly to charity.
Councillor Yusuf Jan – Virmani Executive member for Neighbourhoods, Housing and Customer services said:
Ramadan is a very special time for Muslims and our communities will give very generously to charitable organisation throughout the period. However there are those that will unscrupulously attempt to take well intentioned donations for their own gain. As such I ask all within our community to be cautious follow the guidance and ensure this Ramadan only legitimate organisations receive your support.
For more information please click here