Translate

Former restaurant owner fined

Published June 7, 2018 at 16:22

A former restaurant owner has been fined £5,840 and banned from managing a food business after inspectors found filthy conditions at Guide Village Cantonese.

Owner Nhan Lieng pleaded guilty to ten food safety and hygiene charges and two food labelling breaches at Blackburn Magistrates’ Court.

He was ordered to pay £3,385 costs and a £200 victim surcharge. A Hygiene Prohibition Order was also made preventing Lieng from taking part in the management of a food business.

Environmental health officers carried out a routine inspection at the restaurant in March 2017. Its kitchens were filthy with grease, food had been left uncovered for days and information wasn’t available about the ingredients in the food, posing a risk to people with allergies.

Lieng voluntarily closed the premises for two days so a deep clean could be carried out and formal enforcement action was started against him.

Officers revisited the restaurant, which had changed its name to To Be Vegetarian, in November 2017 but the same conditions as before were found.

Councillor Jim Smith, Blackburn with Darwen Council’s Executive Member for Environment, said:

Despite extensive help and support from officers to clean up his act, this restaurant owner failed to keep hygiene standards up to scratch.

This is not acceptable and this case shows that we will take legal action if necessary. We are pleased at the level of the fine which sends a strong message to others.

The fact that this case comes during national Food Safety Week reinforces the important role of our environmental health officers who work hard to ensure that people can eat out in the borough with confidence.

Blackburn with Darwen Council runs the Food Hygiene Rating scheme in the borough in partnership with the Food Standards Agency. Food outlets are given a hygiene rating which they can display. They are also available online.

Of the 1,420 premises covered by the scheme in Blackburn and Darwen, 92.6 per cent have a food hygiene rating of 3 (generally satisfactory) or better.

Councillor Smith added:

Personally, I would always check the food hygiene rating before eating out.

This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.