Don’t lose your voice – look out for your voting registration details!

Published Friday 10 July 2020 at 14:13

Residents in Blackburn with Darwen are being warned not to lose their voice on decisions that affect them by making sure their electoral registration details are up-to-date.

With the combined elections taking place in May 2021, it’s important for residents to make sure they can take part.

The annual canvass ensures that Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council can keep the electoral register up-to-date, identifying any residents who are not registered so that they can be encouraged to do so.

The easiest way to register is online or through the post.

Register to vote online here.

Denise Park, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council’s Chief Executive and returning Officer, said:

It’s important that residents keep an eye out for messages about the electoral register from the council so we can make sure we have the right details for every address in Blackburn and Darwen.

To ensure you can have your say in Elections, please follow the instructions.

This year’s canvass, which we have to carry out by law, is taking place during a challenging public health situation.

We are working to ensure that we take account of public health guidelines, including the continued importance of social distancing.

People who have recently moved should look out for the voter registration messages from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and check the details.

Research by the Electoral Commission indicates that recent home movers are far less likely to be registered than those who have lived at the same address for a long time.

Across Great Britain, 92% of people who have been at their property for more than 16 years will be registered, compared to 36% of people who have lived at an address for less than one year.

Melanie Davidson, Head of Support and Improvement at the Electoral Commission, said:

It’s really important that everyone who is entitled to vote is able to do so.

Making sure you provide the necessary information to your local authority when it is needed will ensure the process runs smoothly.

This is particularly helpful in the current public health situation, as it will help avoid the need for home visits from canvassers.

There is a lot of helpful information on the electoral commission website.

Any residents who have any questions can contact their local registration team by ringing (01254) 585920 or emailing


Electoral register – your questions answered

Why do I keep getting this form?

Electoral Registration Officers must by law issue a Canvass Communication Form to all properties within their area from 1st July – 30th November each year. This process is known as the ‘annual canvass’. There are however changes this year.

The details on the form are correct – do I still need to respond?

If you have received a CCA-E Form (red box at the top) you only need to respond if there are any changes in your household. Where there is no change; you do NOT need to respond.

If you have received a CCB-E you MUST respond to this form whether there are any changes or not..

Remember: this is a legal requirement. If you don’t provide the information requested you could be fined £1000.

How to respond

If there are changes, you can:

  • Go online. Please have your security code to hand, this is located on the front of the Household form.
  • Sign and post the form back in the envelope provided
  • Call free on 0800 197 9871 (you will need the security code from your form),
  • Or text 80212 followed by your security number

It takes two minutes to respond – don’t lose your vote.

This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.