Published Friday 20 May 2022 at 11:14
Yesterday evening (19.5.2022) the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service (LRF) responded to a small blaze on Darwen Moors.
The emergency services responded quickly and efficiently, managing the fire with blowers and beaters.
The LRF advised that smoke may affect those near South East Darwen, so keeping windows and doors closed may be helpful.
We would like to remind residents to please take care when on the moors, particularly whilst we have warmer weather.
Whilst we all want to enjoy the sunshine, it’s of vital importance we all protect our amazing countryside and wildlife.
Here’s a reminder of key wildfire safety advice to remember whilst you’re making the most of our beautiful borough!
- If you see a wildfire, always report it on 999. Don’t assume someone already has.
- Never use disposable barbecues on moorland or grassland. Pack a picnic instead.
- Avoid smoking on moorland. If you do, always extinguish your cigarettes and other smoking materials thoroughly.
- Do not dispose of cigarette butts out of car windows.
- Never leave bottles behind, as sunlight can become focused as it shines through glass, starting fires.
- Keep children away from lighters and matches.