Council provides support to residents evacuated following gas leak

Published Saturday 20 January 2024 at 16:20

Residents who were evacuated from their homes in Mill Hill, Blackburn last night have been supported by Blackburn with Darwen Council whilst gas company Cadent worked on the gas leak.

The leak happened on Queen Victoria Street in Mill Hill, last night, with police and fire services in attendance.

Around 25 people were evacuated from their homes and were taken to safety at an emergency rest centre set-up at Blackburn with Darwen’s Witton Park.

Ward councillor, Jim Smith, who is also a manager at The Blackburn Bus Company, picked up the families and took them to safety last night.

Some residents were looked after at the emergency rest centre whilst they arranged accommodation elsewhere. Two families were taken to a nearby hotel.

Council housing office staff have been supporting residents and working towards arranging alternative accommodation, where needed, with the priority being our elderly and vulnerable residents.

Jo Siddle, Blackburn with Darwen Council’s Senior Officer in charge, said: “We understand this is a distressing incident for residents, however, we’d like to reassure everyone that our priority is residents’ safety.

“Cadent are working to make sure the street is safe to return to.

“Blackburn with Darwen Council staff and partners continue to provide our support to residents.”

Queen Victoria Street remains closed and diversions are in place. Please be aware this may impact bus travel in the area.

This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.