Apprentice Chloe to take on charity skydive

Published Thursday 25 April 2024 at 11:54

This summer one of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council’s apprentices will be jumping 15,000 feet to raise money for a Children’s Hospice.

Trainee pensions and payroll apprentice, Chloe Booth, 28, who is based at the Town Hall in Blackburn is raising money for Derian House – the charity that supports her sister Leah, 33 who has a rare genetic disorder called Type 2 Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

Derian House provides care and respite for children with life-limiting or life-shortening conditions across the northwest of England and Chloe is encouraging people to donate and help support the children’s charity.

To provide their services it costs them almost £6 million per year, with only 29% of that money comes from statutory sources. The charity has to find the remaining 71% to keep their doors open.

Chloe said:

Derian House personally has done so much for me and my family. My sister received respite from them which gave my mum the rest that she needed. As a sibling I got support from Derian, meeting other children with disabled siblings. Due to this support, I was able to experience things that I wouldn’t have normally had the chance to do.

My sister went regularly to Derian house until around the age of 24 when we got her own house with 24/7 care. We still get involved with Derian house now and they even helped her with her mental health after she left. For my sister, me and my family we would have been lost without them over the years.

Derian deserves all the help they can get and any amount you can donate will make a big difference. Let’s get fundraising and help me and Derian achieve this 71% that they need.

Kerry Salmon, Community Fundraiser at Derian House, said:

It’s so special that Chloe has decided to challenge herself to jump out of a plane after witnessing first hand what Derian House does. We think she is incredibly brave and we wish her all the luck in the world – it will make a huge difference for families just like hers.

It will cost £6million to run services at Derian House in 2024, so we rely on the bravery and kindness of our supporters – just like Chloe – who take part in events like these to help care for our families.

If you would like to donate to Chloe, you can do so on ‘JustGiving’ via the QR code below:


This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.