Published September 29, 2015 at 14:20
Find out what service and activities are available for you and your family with the Blackburn with Darwen Local Offer – for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
The online directory – called the Local Offer – includes details about what services children and young people with SEND, and their families can expect from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care.
It has now been in operation for one year, and The Council wants to remind people that the help and resources are out there for families that need them.
Young people between the ages of 0 to 25 can benefit from the services. It is available at www.bwd-localoffer.org.uk.
The Local Offer includes information about:
- Education, like nurseries, schools and colleges
- Health, including doctors, school nurses and therapists
- Social care, including respite services and children’s disability services
- Voluntary groups, including charities, support groups and youth clubs
- Preparing for adulthood, including where to live, education, training and employment
- Leisure and recreation, such as sports and social clubs, food and entertainment
To list your organisation or service in the Local Offer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Councillor Maureen Bateson, Blackburn with Darwen’s Executive Member for Children’s Services, said:
The Local Offer website is a fantastic way for families to find the best services and activities for their children with additional needs. It can really benefit families to get more support, help and friendship and this is what the Local Offer is about.
I would encourage all families who have children with SEND to visit the website and see the wonderful services we have in the borough which can make a real difference. I would also like to ask any services which have not posted their details on yet to do so – the more help that is out there for children, young people and their families, the better their lives are.”