The Leaving Care Team works with young people aged 16 – 24 who have been looked after by us for at least 13 weeks since their 14th birthday and including a day after their 16th birthday. The team aims to:
- Encourage the personal development and practical living skills of young people leaving care;
- Work with young people leaving care to find employment/training;
- Work with young people to access education;
- Work with young people to maximise their income;
- Work with young people to find suitable housing;
- Work with young people in times of emergencies;
- To involve young people in all assessment, planning, review and decision making arrangements for leaving care;
- Meet the requirements of the Children Act and Blackburn with Darwen policies in relation to young people leaving care.
The team works in partnership with young people, carers and other statutory and voluntary agencies to achieve these aims.